Visit Lake Wanaka, New Zealand
Rivalling Queenstown with its picture-perfect setting, Wanaka sits on the southern willow-clad shore of Lake Wanaka and is the gateway to Mount Aspiring National Park.
The sheer magnitude of snow-capped surrounding peaks, often reflected on the glacial waters of the lake itself, are on every side, bright with alpine flowers in the summer months and clad in snow and glaciers through the winter, with deep forested valleys, rugged rock faces and secluded flats.
Exploration is by scenic flights, bush walks or jetboats.
The 'Siberia Experience'.
The ‘Siberia Experience’, offered by one tried and trusted local company, takes you by light aircraft for stunning views of Mount Aspiring National Park, drops you in Siberia Valley for a three-hour walk through native beech forest into Wilkin Valley where you then board a jet boat for a thrilling and scenic ride - pure New Zealand!
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Wanaka
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Wanaka, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Wanaka
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Wanaka
- Arrowtown 36 kilometers away
- Queenstown 53 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 62 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 91 kilometers away
- Twizel 91 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 96 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 133 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 133 kilometers away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 138 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 155 kilometers away
- Dunedin 170 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 178 kilometers away
- Doubtful Sound 184 kilometers away
- The Catlins 210 kilometers away
- Hokitika 266 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 270 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 276 kilometers away
- Christchurch 309 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 322 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 339 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 384 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 447 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Lake Wanaka
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Wanaka. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Lake Wanaka
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Lake Wanaka, and which use the best local guides.