Visit Russell, New Zealand
It requires a massive leap of imagination to consider this peaceful, small township, nestled on sparkling shores in the heart of the Bay of Islands, as the ‘hell hole of the Pacific’, a moniker sprung from lawless days as a whaling station.
The village of Russell maintains a genteel colonial charm. Set amongst lush subtropical bloom, with a selection of excellent restaurants on the calm waterfront, it is a perfect secluded get-away.
Suggested itinerary featuring Russell
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Russell, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Russell
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Russell
- Paihia 5 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 10 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 16 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 31 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 74 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 120 kilometers away
- Warkworth 136 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 157 kilometers away
- Devonport 185 kilometers away
- Auckland 186 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 190 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 237 kilometers away
- Waikato 243 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 246 kilometers away
- Tauranga 327 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 344 kilometers away
- Waitomo 346 kilometers away
- Rotorua 373 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 419 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 423 kilometers away
- North Island 443 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 460 kilometers away
Photos of Russell
Accommodation choices for Russell
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Russell. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Arcadia Lodge is a large, characterful two-storey house with just five rooms. Its expansive decking overlooking Russell and the bay is the ideal place to enjoy breakfast in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening.
The Eagles Nest is made up of five luxury villas that look out over the Bay of Islands. Each has its own lap pool or spa, spacious rooms and chefs who will design a menu of your choice.