Visit Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Vineyards, olive groves, white sand beaches, rocky foreshores and relaxed seaside villages set the tone for Waiheke Island.
Just off the coast from Auckland, it is a refuge for an alternative community of artisans and organic farmers.
At the last count, Waiheke had over 25 wineries, several of which can be visited for tastings, and there are also endless trails in the less developed eastern part of the island.
Getting to Waiheke Island
Waiheke can easily be reached from Auckland by a 30-minute ferry crossing, or by a fixed wing aircraft or helicopter from the airport, making it ideal for a couple of days’ relaxation after a long international flight.
Suggested itineraries featuring Waiheke Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Waiheke Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Waiheke Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Waiheke Island
- Devonport 22 kilometers away
- Auckland 25 kilometers away
- Warkworth 56 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 60 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 68 kilometers away
- Waikato 71 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 76 kilometers away
- Tauranga 142 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 162 kilometers away
- Waitomo 164 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 182 kilometers away
- Rotorua 184 kilometers away
- Paihia 189 kilometers away
- Russell 190 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 196 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 200 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 220 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 230 kilometers away
- North Island 254 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 266 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 275 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 294 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 336 kilometers away
- Napier 343 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 349 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 354 kilometers away
- Hastings 355 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 455 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 478 kilometers away
- Greytown 478 kilometers away
Photos of Waiheke Island
Accommodation choices for Waiheke Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Waiheke Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Boatshed on beautiful Waiheke Island is just 35 minutes by ferry from Auckland, and offers luxury accommodation and great food in a relaxed island setting.
Delamore Lodge is moulded into the hillside at Owhanake Bay, overlooking the stunning Hauraki Gulf. Its beautifully appointed guest suites make the most of the ocean views, and offer plenty of luxury.