Visit Picton, New Zealand
Picton comes to life during New Zealand’s summer months as many visitors pass through on their journey from the North Island. The hustle and bustle dies down during the winter although the Interislander ferry still ships people across the Cook Strait on a regular basis.
Although normally seen in passing, Picton is actually a sweet, characterful town offering a great deal to those who choose to stay for a few nights.
As well as all the activities in the Sounds, Picton boasts a variety of busy cafés and good restaurants, and enjoys pretty countryside surroundings.
Suggested itineraries featuring Picton
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Picton, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
New Zealand and Australia
Australia and New Zealand
Map of Picton
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Picton
- Marlborough Sounds 18 kilometers away
- Blenheim 26 kilometers away
- Nelson 61 kilometers away
- Wellington 65 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 96 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 97 kilometers away
- Martinborough 123 kilometers away
- Greytown 125 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 127 kilometers away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 127 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 131 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 135 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 168 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 176 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 240 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 249 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 264 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 273 kilometers away
- Christchurch 274 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 293 kilometers away
- Hokitika 297 kilometers away
- Hastings 303 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 317 kilometers away
- Napier 318 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 340 kilometers away
- Waitomo 350 kilometers away
- Rotorua 401 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 408 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 418 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 420 kilometers away
- Waikato 440 kilometers away
- Tauranga 443 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 445 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 452 kilometers away
- Twizel 459 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 481 kilometers away
Photos of Picton
Ideas for experiencing Picton
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Picton, and which use the best local guides.
Board the motor launch that will take you to famous Ship Cove where Captain Cook visited five times to reprovision his ship. From Ship Cove the track climbs, giving you unsurpassed views to the North Island.
Over the course of the trip you will learn about Maori culture and history, and enjoy the amazing bio-diversity of the Sounds whilst slowly sailing round the sheltered inland waterways.
Linking the port of Picton with the city of Christchurch, the Coastal Pacific railway offers a fantastic opportunity to discover the east coast of the South Island.
Take a gentle cruise through the beautiful inner Pelorus and Kenepuru Sounds, enjoying the scenery whilst learning about the history of mussel farming in the area, with commentary from your knowledgeable guide.