Visit the Catlins, New Zealand
The Catlins is a totally absorbing off-the-beaten track area, an untrodden world where small patches of tamed farmland have made little impression on a landscape of formidable cliffs, wild forests, pretty bays and calm estuaries.
The variety of birdlife is an ornithologist’s delight, with many sea, estuary and forest birds in residence and, if you are lucky, you may encounter the endangered yellow-eyed penguin.
Here life decelerates and hours are whiled away walking on the beach, whitebait catching, wandering through native bush and exploring the Cathedral Caves.
Map of the Catlins
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Catlins
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 99 kilometers away
- Dunedin 136 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 147 kilometers away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 167 kilometers away
- Queenstown 176 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 184 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 200 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 210 kilometers away
- Doubtful Sound 214 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 231 kilometers away
- Twizel 271 kilometers away
- South Island 288 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 301 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 308 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 327 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 355 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 435 kilometers away
- Christchurch 441 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 450 kilometers away
- Hokitika 456 kilometers away
Photos of the Catlins
Accommodation choices for the Catlins
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Catlins. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Curio Bay Hotel has a panoramic beachfront location from where you can step straight into the waves or watch the dolphins from your terrace.
Located close to Curio Bay, Catlins Farmstay B&B is a small and characterful property, perfectly positioned to explore the beautiful Catlins area.