Visit Taranaki & New Plymouth, New Zealand
Mid-way between Wellington and Auckland on the beautiful west coast is the Taranaki region.
Dominated by Mount Taranaki (also known as Mount Egmont), a ‘perfect’ symmetrical volcano with ice and snow permanently covering its conelike summit, this region is both agricultural heartland and rural backwater, offering superb day treks and wild windswept beaches.
The mountain is the source of over 50 rivers and streams, feeding a host of unique plant species, and is also the subject of many legends. First settled by the Maori people, eight iwi (tribes) found their homes here and to this day remain firmly tied to the land.
The principal centre in the region is New Plymouth, the only deep-water port on New Zealand’s west coast. A city of parks and gardens, it blossoms in the rhododendron season and sparkles in the summer during the annual Festival of Lights.
More than six kilometres of historic coastal walkways line the shoreline, which is also known for its world class surf breaks and its annual hosting of the World Triathlon Festival. New Plymouth houses an excellent heritage centre, Puke Ariki, an interactive museum displaying over 6,000 Maori treasures as well as wildlife and colonial exhibits.
For those with an artistic flair, the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery has a reputation for adventurous, contemporary pieces, epitomised by the work of the pioneering animator Len Lye whose fantastic ‘Wind Wand’ graces the New Plymouth foreshore.
Suggested itineraries featuring Taranaki & New Plymouth
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Taranaki & New Plymouth, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Taranaki & New Plymouth
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Taranaki & New Plymouth
- Waitomo 126 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 129 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 129 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 178 kilometers away
- Waikato 196 kilometers away
- Rotorua 215 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 217 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 218 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 229 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 234 kilometers away
- Tauranga 238 kilometers away
- Hastings 248 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 249 kilometers away
- Picton 249 kilometers away
- Napier 250 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 250 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 253 kilometers away
- Auckland 254 kilometers away
- Greytown 254 kilometers away
- Wellington 256 kilometers away
- Nelson 256 kilometers away
- Devonport 256 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 258 kilometers away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 262 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 266 kilometers away
- Martinborough 268 kilometers away
- Blenheim 275 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 281 kilometers away
- Warkworth 301 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 340 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 346 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 374 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 376 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 400 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 411 kilometers away
- Paihia 421 kilometers away
- Russell 423 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 427 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 432 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 447 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 482 kilometers away
Photos of Taranaki & New Plymouth
Accommodation choices for Taranaki & New Plymouth
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Taranaki & New Plymouth. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Centrally located, the Nice Hotel is a welcoming boutique property within walking distance of New Plymouth's shops, galleries, parks and waterfront.
Taranaki Country Lodge is a beautiful property located on the outskirts of New Plymouth and boasts stunning views over the North Coast and Mount Taranaki.