Lake Te Anau is New Zealand’s second largest lake, and enjoys a wonderful location on the edge of Fiordland National Park.
The township is beautifully situated on the tranquil lakeshore and serves as a great base from which to explore the local countryside, a virgin world where waterfalls tumble hundreds of metres into forested valleys under looming granite peaks.
From Te Anau you can also cross the lake to visit glow-worm caves, or drive for 20 minutes to Manapouri, with a population of just 300, set on another lake scattered with islands, framed by the spectacular Cathedral Mountains
This is the gateway to Doubtful Sound, and is also the starting point for several excellent walking options, including the Routeburn, Milford and Kepler Tracks, three of New Zealand’s nine Great Walks.
Suggested itineraries featuring Te Anau & Manapouri
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Te Anau & Manapouri, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Te Anau & Manapouri
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Te Anau & Manapouri
- Doubtful Sound 59 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 82 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 85 kilometers away
- Queenstown 86 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 103 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 138 kilometers away
- The Catlins 167 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 173 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 201 kilometers away
- Dunedin 223 kilometers away
- Twizel 228 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 235 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 266 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 270 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 284 kilometers away
- Hokitika 398 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 412 kilometers away
- Christchurch 444 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 453 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 470 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Te Anau & Manapouri
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Te Anau & Manapouri. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Te Anau & Manapouri
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Te Anau & Manapouri, and which use the best local guides.