Easily attached to a Garden Route itinerary, the Eastern Cape has perhaps done more than any other area to put conservation on the map in South Africa.
Addo Elephant National Park and Shamwari Game Reserve
Led by the Addo Elephant National Park and Shamwari, increasing numbers of former farms are being turned over to conservation, fences are coming down and the land is being restored to its natural state. Much of the area is characterised by Karoo vegetation, a semi-arid environment of thick scrub and rolling hills, dotted with weird succulents.
The Big Five
Most of the reserves are now home to the Big Five, and wild dog are making a welcome return as well.
The favourable location, quality accommodation, lack of malaria and good game viewing have contributed to a surge in popularity for Eastern Cape safaris.
Places to visit in the Eastern Cape Game Areas
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Eastern Cape Game Areas, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Eastern Cape Game Areas
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Eastern Cape Game Areas, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Eastern Cape Game Areas
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Addo Elephant National Park The Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Amakhala Game Reserve The Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve The Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Pumba Private Game Reserve The Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve The Eastern Cape Game Areas
- Port Elizabeth 87 kilometers away
- East London 160 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 244 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 279 kilometers away
- Knysna 307 kilometers away
- Coffee Bay 314 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 316 kilometers away
- Wilderness 349 kilometers away
- Port St Johns 367 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 378 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 379 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 427 kilometers away
- Lesotho 475 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Eastern Cape Game Areas
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Eastern Cape Game Areas. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.