Within easy reach of the Kruger National Park, the Mpumulanga Escarpment is a dramatic mountain chain which forms part of the greater Drakensberg Range.
Blyde River Canyon is the focal point of this area, with its meandering river and steep sided gorge. The canyon can be visited by road along the Panorama Route, taking in the numerous scenic viewpoints; God’s Window is particularly stunning. Nearby, Pilgrim’s Rest is a charming town, designated as a historic monument. It sprung to life in the late 19th centrury during the gold rush and the well preserved buildings are bursting with Victorian artefacts. The towns of Hazyview and White River are the main towns in this area and accommodation is found here and in the surrounding countryside.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Escarpment
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Escarpment, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Escarpment
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Escarpment
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve The Escarpment
- Hazyview The Escarpment
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 63 kilometers away
- Thornybush Reserve 65 kilometers away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 73 kilometers away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 84 kilometers away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 86 kilometers away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 103 kilometers away
- Kruger National Park 110 kilometers away
- Eswatini 203 kilometers away
- Johannesburg & Pretoria 298 kilometers away
- The Elephant Coast 317 kilometers away
- The Waterberg 332 kilometers away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 349 kilometers away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 358 kilometers away
- The Pilanesberg National Park 371 kilometers away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 378 kilometers away
- Lake St Lucia 381 kilometers away
- The Battlefields 386 kilometers away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 387 kilometers away
- Spioenkop 437 kilometers away
- The Madikwe Game Reserve 453 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Escarpment
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Escarpment. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.