Visit the Klein Karoo, South Africa
The Karoo is the vast semi-desert that comprises the bulk of the interior of South Africa and is an inhospitable place.
On its southern fringe lies the Klein Karoo, an arid area that still supports sufficient life to make farming viable. Stark mountains are traversed by dramatic passes and towns retain a frontier air.
The people are remarkably hospitable and the atmosphere is markedly different from that of the Cape Region and Garden Route.
Places to visit in the Klein Karoo
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Klein Karoo, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Klein Karoo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Klein Karoo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Klein Karoo
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Klein Karoo
- Calitzdorp The Klein Karoo
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass The Klein Karoo
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds The Klein Karoo
- Wilderness 70 kilometers away
- Knysna 71 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 83 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 98 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 220 kilometers away
- Swellendam 237 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 244 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 257 kilometers away
- Montagu 259 kilometers away
- Addo Elephant National Park 268 kilometers away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 298 kilometers away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 299 kilometers away
- The Overberg 303 kilometers away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 316 kilometers away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 325 kilometers away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 343 kilometers away
- De Kelders 350 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 353 kilometers away
- Hermanus 355 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 357 kilometers away
- The Winelands 365 kilometers away
- Paarl 366 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 367 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 378 kilometers away
- Cape Town 417 kilometers away
- Constantia 419 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 424 kilometers away
- Langebaan 453 kilometers away
- Paternoster 471 kilometers away
- East London 471 kilometers away
Photos of the Klein Karoo
Accommodation choices for the Klein Karoo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Klein Karoo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This elegant Victorian house offers history, charm and a peaceful setting amongst beautifully manicured gardens. The relaxed atmosphere and comfortable rooms make this a welcoming property to return to after exploring the area’s natural and historic attractions.
La Plume is a Victorian-style homestead dating back to 1902, situated in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and vine farm in the Klein Karoo.
Family-run, The Thorntree offers a comfortable stay and is a base from which to explore Oudtshoorn and the surrounding area, including the spectacular Cango Caves. The food here is excellent.