Visit Oudtshoorn & Surrounds, South Africa
The Great Karoo is the arid semi-desert that comprises much of the heart of South Africa.
On its fringes is the Little Karoo, a slightly more hospitable environment which proved ideal for rearing ostriches. Thanks to the Victorian craze for ostrich feathers, the town of Oudtshoorn flourished. Whilst exploring the town you will see many of the "Feather Palaces", houses of the merchants who grew rich from the feather trade.
Outside Oudtshoorn are the Cango Caves, one of the premier natural attractions in South Africa. Huge caverns with stalagmites and stalactites are open to the public and have been lit in such a way as to make them especially dramatic. Another popular activity in the area is visiting an ostrich farm, where you can learn about these odd birds, and may get the chance to see them race.
Suggested itineraries featuring Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Oudtshoorn & Surrounds, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 23 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 49 kilometers away
- Wilderness 57 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 67 kilometers away
- Knysna 93 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 119 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 147 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 154 kilometers away
- Swellendam 170 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 179 kilometers away
- Montagu 194 kilometers away
- The Overberg 237 kilometers away
- De Kelders 284 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 288 kilometers away
- Hermanus 289 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 291 kilometers away
- The Winelands 300 kilometers away
- Paarl 301 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 312 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 313 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 315 kilometers away
- Addo Elephant National Park 331 kilometers away
- Cape Town 352 kilometers away
- Constantia 354 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 358 kilometers away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 361 kilometers away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 362 kilometers away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 379 kilometers away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 389 kilometers away
- Langebaan 392 kilometers away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 408 kilometers away
- Paternoster 411 kilometers away
Photos of Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
Accommodation choices for Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Oudtshoorn & Surrounds. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
La Plume is a Victorian-style homestead dating back to 1902, situated in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and vine farm in the Klein Karoo.
This elegant Victorian house offers history, charm and a peaceful setting amongst beautifully manicured gardens. The relaxed atmosphere and comfortable rooms make this a welcoming property to return to after exploring the area’s natural and historic attractions.
Family-run, The Thorntree offers a comfortable stay and is a base from which to explore Oudtshoorn and the surrounding area, including the spectacular Cango Caves. The food here is excellent.