Visit the Whale Coast, South Africa
The sheer coastline of Walker Bay allows migrating southern right whales to approach within metres of the shore.
They take shelter from June until December, making this the premier land-based whale watching destination in the world.
Great white sharks
Boat trips provide the opportunity to get closer to these enormous creatures as well as their deep-sea neighbours, the great white sharks and teeming colonies of playful seals.
The backdrop of stunning white-sand beaches and towering sand dunes carpeted in fynbos complete a wonderful experience. The centre of the marine activity is the pretty harbour town of Hermanus, where a whale crier announces nearby sightings with loud blasts on his dry kelp horn.
As well as the whales, sharks and the beautiful and unique shoreline, the area also boasts several vineyards fast gaining international recognition.
Map of the Whale Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Whale Coast
- Hermanus less than 5 kilometers away
- De Kelders 19 kilometers away
- The Overberg 57 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 60 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 66 kilometers away
- The Winelands 71 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 77 kilometers away
- Paarl 82 kilometers away
- Constantia 87 kilometers away
- Cape Town 94 kilometers away
- Montagu 111 kilometers away
- Swellendam 121 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 122 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 144 kilometers away
- Langebaan 187 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 215 kilometers away
- Paternoster 220 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 249 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 291 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 300 kilometers away
- Wilderness 313 kilometers away
- Knysna 355 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 357 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 383 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 418 kilometers away
Photos of the Whale Coast
Accommodation choices for the Whale Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Whale Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This attractive villa has the charm and atmosphere of a private beachside home, providing a peaceful, intimate base for your time in Hermanus. Spend time whale watching from your private balcony, relax on the beach or head into town to browse Hermanus’ shops and restaurants.
Whilst Villa Blu is slightly out of Hermanus and set back from the beach we feel it is a great base for the area as taxis can be arranged for the evening and it is just a short walk down to the beach to see the whales.
Overlooking Walker's Bay, Birkenhead is a magical getaway and even more so during the calving season of the southern right whales, where the whales come close to the shore.