Visit the Winelands, South Africa
Drive just an hour east of Cape Town and you reach vine-woven valleys slotted between great knuckle-like mountains. This is South Africa’s Winelands region, one of the first areas of the country settled by Europeans and a hub for all things food and drink.
The region’s three main towns — Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl — form a triangle that you can easily visit all in one trip. Our South Africa specialists have done so many times, and can give you tips on what to see and do, creating a Winelands itinerary that suits your interests.
It almost goes without saying that wine tasting usually forms a significant part of your stay. Many vineyards offer guided tours and tastings, from smaller boutique wineries to sprawling estates. You can cycle between them or take the Wine Tram from Franschhoek, hopping on and off at different estates as and when you please.
The food scene also thrives here, and many wine estates have their own restaurants where you can enjoy food-and-wine pairings. Alternatively, take a guided food tour of Stellenbosch, sampling everything from biltong (dried cured meat) to koeksisters (a sweet, syrupy pastry).
Stellenbosch is also a good place to explore the region’s history. It’s South Africa’s second-oldest European settlement, established in 1679 by Dutch Governor Simon van der Stel. You can soak up its colonial heritage, from the dazzling-white Cape Dutch buildings to the Victorian and Georgian mansions set along oak-lined streets.
Places to visit in the Winelands
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Winelands, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Winelands
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Winelands, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Winelands
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Winelands
- Franschhoek The Winelands
- Paarl The Winelands
- Stellenbosch The Winelands
- Cape Town 53 kilometers away
- Constantia 57 kilometers away
- Hermanus 70 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 71 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 71 kilometers away
- De Kelders 88 kilometers away
- The Overberg 102 kilometers away
- Montagu 106 kilometers away
- Langebaan 122 kilometers away
- Swellendam 137 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 146 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 149 kilometers away
- Paternoster 153 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 159 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 253 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 300 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 304 kilometers away
- Wilderness 333 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 365 kilometers away
- Knysna 377 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 405 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 439 kilometers away
- Namaqualand 480 kilometers away
Our expert guides to exploring the Winelands
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting the Winelands, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate the Winelands at its best.
Accommodation choices for the Winelands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Winelands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.