Visit Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka
Although Anuradhapura dates from the 4th century BC, Sri Lanka’s first Buddhist capital is not merely an ancient relic.
The Sacred Bodhi Tree
It remains a devout holy city centred round the Sacred Bodhi Tree, believed to be grown from a cutting taken from the original Bodhi tree under which the Buddha gained enlightenment.
Pilgrims dressed in white mingle with brightly-robed Buddhist monks, while irreverent langur monkeys play amongst the ruins. The site is scattered over a couple of square miles, punctuated by immense bell-shaped dagobas housing Buddhist relics.
The city’s other treasures include the elaborately carved moonstone of Mahasen’s Palace, ancient bathing pools and the serene Samadhi Buddha.
Suggested itineraries featuring Anuradhapura
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Anuradhapura, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Anuradhapura
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Anuradhapura
- The Cultural Triangle 31 kilometers away
- Sigiriya 57 kilometers away
- Dambulla 58 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 63 kilometers away
- Pallepolla 80 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 80 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 98 kilometers away
- Kandy 116 kilometers away
- Negombo 137 kilometers away
- Passikudah 137 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 155 kilometers away
- Hatton 158 kilometers away
- Jaffna 158 kilometers away
- Colombo 165 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 167 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 172 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 178 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 189 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 208 kilometers away
- Bentota 214 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 215 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 228 kilometers away
- Galle 254 kilometers away
- Tangalle 258 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 265 kilometers away
Photos of Anuradhapura
Accommodation choices for Anuradhapura
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Anuradhapura. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ulagalla Resort is a beautifully restored mansion estate, set amidst acres of woodland and paddy fields. It offers horse riding, bird watching, and kayaking on the Ulagalla Reservoir.