Visit Sigiriya, Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka’s most recognisable landmark, Sigiriya Rock looms 200 metres above the plains, an ideal position for a fortress.
Palace on the rock
However, when the usurper King Kasyapa built his base here in the 5th century he didn’t build merely a fortress but a fabulous palace on top of the rock, complete with pleasure gardens below.
One thing that remains unchanged over the centuries is the magnificent view from the top, over miles of jungle and rolling hills.
Lion's Paws and frescoes
Today only ruins of the palace remain, but features such as the massive Lion’s Paws and radiant frescoes of beautiful damsels give visitors a glimpse of its former splendour.
Suggested itineraries featuring Sigiriya
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Sigiriya, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sigiriya
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sigiriya
- Minneriya National Park 15 kilometers away
- Dambulla 15 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 27 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 28 kilometers away
- Pallepolla 41 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 57 kilometers away
- Kandy 75 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 87 kilometers away
- Passikudah 89 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 110 kilometers away
- Hatton 119 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 127 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 128 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 131 kilometers away
- Negombo 132 kilometers away
- Colombo 152 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 162 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 170 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 174 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 178 kilometers away
- Bentota 190 kilometers away
- Jaffna 209 kilometers away
- Tangalle 215 kilometers away
- Galle 222 kilometers away
- The Southern Coast 226 kilometers away
Photos of Sigiriya
Accommodation choices for Sigiriya
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sigiriya. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
With views of Sigiriya Rock, excellent facilities and a fine forested setting, Aliya Resort is a peaceful base from which to explore the Cultural Triangle.
Situated very close to Sigiriya Rock, Vil Uyana is Sri Lanka’s first stilted resort, set within abandoned paddy fields, forest and reedbeds teeming with wildlife. It's also well located for exploring Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle.
Ideas for experiencing Sigiriya
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Sigiriya, and which use the best local guides.
You will start your day by visiting the mighty Sigiriya Rock Fortress which dominates the surrounding landscape. For many visitors, this is the most impressive site in Sri Lanka with stunning views from the top.