Visit the Southern Coast, Sri Lanka
Easily accessible whether you are travelling west from Yala and Habantota or south from Galle, the Southern Coast has miles of golden beaches, separated into small bays, each with its own resort.
This area was first discovered by backpackers and accommodation is generally more simple than that found at nearby Galle and Bentota, with an easy-going, friendly atmosphere and plenty of small restaurants and local shops, with watersports available locally.
The best time to visit this part of Sri Lanka is between November and April as the sea can be rough through the summer months.
Tangalle and turtles
Tangalle is one of the best beaches on the south coast and a breeding ground for turtles. The turtles are protected, with a local sanctuary where you can see the conservation project work, and this quiet conservation project sets the tone for small, eco-friendly beach resorts.
Unawatuna is a peaceful little town with a sheltered beach where you can swim safely year-round. The hotels are simple and often small, friendly locally run establishments. There is a large choice of beach cafés and bars where tasty seafood fresh from the sea is cooked to order.
Map of the Southern Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Southern Coast
- Tangalle The Southern Coast
- Galle 43 kilometers away
- Sinharaja Biosphere 51 kilometers away
- Uda Walawe National Park 72 kilometers away
- Bentota 85 kilometers away
- Adam's Peak 98 kilometers away
- Horton Plains 101 kilometers away
- Hatton 108 kilometers away
- Bandarawela 109 kilometers away
- Wadduwa 110 kilometers away
- Nuwara Eliya 117 kilometers away
- Yala National Park 122 kilometers away
- Colombo 138 kilometers away
- Kandy 152 kilometers away
- Negombo 165 kilometers away
- Pallepolla 189 kilometers away
- Dambulla 215 kilometers away
- Sigiriya 226 kilometers away
- Polonnaruwa 228 kilometers away
- Minneriya National Park 234 kilometers away
- The Cultural Triangle 244 kilometers away
- Passikudah 247 kilometers away
- Anuradhapura 265 kilometers away
- Trincomalee 302 kilometers away
- Jaffna 421 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Southern Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Southern Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This luxuriously simplistic, beachfront resort is composed of 30 contemporary suites each with their own private pool and terrace. It has a huge infinity pool and an expansive terrace with amazing sunset views.