Visit Lake Natron, Tanzania
North of the Ngorongoro Crater, and far from the beaten track, you will find the Maasai's Mountain of God - Ol Doinyo L'Engai.
An active carbonate volcano, it is a focal point for the Maasai, whose land stretches out for hundreds of miles from it.
Willdlife of Lake Natron
There are rugged mountains where vultures soar and baboon bark, dusty gorges where the Maasai bring their cattle to drink and endless grassy plains. Further north still is the spectacular soda lake of Natron. Lying in a beautifully scenic area below the Rift Valley escarpment, Lake Natron has such a high concentration of sodium, that the water is often viscous to the touch. There is good game viewing and birding in this harsh landscape with dry country species such as gerenuk, lesser kudu and oryx a speciality. Natron is also the only known breeding ground for East Africa's millions of lesser flamingos which cover the lake between August and October.
Maasai manyattas (villages)
The wildlife lives side by side with the Maasai and scattered throughout the surrounding plains are numerous Maasai manyattas (villages), crooked sticks and cracked clay houses arranged around cattle kraals under the hot sun. Young children herd goats, elders in bright red togas sit under acacias and the morani (warriors) watch guard, spears in their hands, intricate beading around their necks and ochre in their hair.
This is a harsh, wild and fascinating region.
Map of Lake Natron
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Natron
- Ol Donyo Lengai 50 kilometers away
- Longido 84 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 116 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 116 kilometers away
- Karatu 118 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 125 kilometers away
- Arusha 136 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 136 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 152 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 167 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 179 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 188 kilometers away
- Rubondo Island 464 kilometers away
- Pangani 473 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 477 kilometers away