Visit Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Tarangire is a classic dry season reserve: in the rains the game disperses into the Maasai Steppe but as the landscape dries the wildlife returns, drawn to the Tarangire River.
Wildlife of Tarangire National Park
Large populations of wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, giraffe, eland, impala and warthog all go in search of water. Lion and hyena follow accordingly. Perhaps most impressive are the large herds of elephant that congregate along the riverbanks - it is sometimes possible to see over 500 in a day.
There are some localised antelope species, such as the fringe-eared oryx and gerenuk, and plenty of colourful birdlife. Yellow-billed and saddle-billed storks are often found in the river and orange-bellied parrots and red-and-yellow barbets in the acacia woodland.
A short way from Arusha, Tarangire is an ideal place to stay for a couple of nights at the beginning or end of a 'northern circuit' safari.
Suggested Tarangire National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tarangire National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Tarangire National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tarangire National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Tarangire National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tarangire National Park
- Lake Manyara National Park 70 kilometers away
- Karatu 86 kilometers away
- Arusha 106 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 110 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 110 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 113 kilometers away
- Ol Donyo Lengai 142 kilometers away
- Longido 163 kilometers away
- West Kilimanjaro 173 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 184 kilometers away
- Lake Natron 188 kilometers away
- Serengeti National Park 232 kilometers away
- Pangani 365 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 366 kilometers away
- Saadani 370 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 382 kilometers away
- Ruaha National Park 406 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 420 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 452 kilometers away
- Dar es Salaam 479 kilometers away