Visit Ruaha National Park, Tanzania
In the heart of southern Tanzania the Ruaha National Park has a hot, dry climate and dramatic scenery.
The great Ruaha River runs along the southeast border, tumbling over boulders and flanked by riparian woodland. Away from the river there are baobab forests, open grasslands and fresh springs.
Wildlife of Ruaha National Park
Game is prolific with ungulates including impala, waterbuck, bushbuck, giraffe, zebra and buffalo. Both greater and lesser kudu are present, as well as roan and sable antelope. There are large prides of lion, often twenty or more, spotted and striped hyena, several packs of wild dog and leopard. The birdlife is particularly colourful, and sitting in camp it’s not unusual to spot many species such as emerald spotted doves, brown parrots and crested barbets.
Activities in Ruaha focus on game drives which are particularly rewarding in the dry season when the game congregates at the river. With only a few camps in the park, visitor numbers are few and it’s unspoilt and peaceful.
Map of Ruaha National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ruaha National Park
- Southern Tanzania 210 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 281 kilometers away
- Western Tanzania 356 kilometers away
- Selous Game Reserve 379 kilometers away
- Katavi National Park 393 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 406 kilometers away
- Lake Eyasi 426 kilometers away
- Lake Manyara National Park 462 kilometers away
- Karatu 469 kilometers away
- Saadani 472 kilometers away
- Ngorongoro Crater 478 kilometers away
- Northern Tanzania 478 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 480 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Ruaha National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ruaha National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Ruaha National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Ruaha National Park, and which use the best local guides.