Visit Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Dar es Salaam is a lively dusty African city.
Whilst not particularly beautiful to the eye it is vibrant and bustling with life. There are buzzing markets, colourful street stalls and an ever busy port.
Local culture of Dar es Salaam
In the harbour, huge steel cargo boats sit alongside wooden dhows with haphazard sails and produce spilling over the sides. Fishermen can be seen selling their day's catch on the seafront, or walking along the streets passing glittering high rise buildings on one side and peddlers roasting cassava on the other.
There is a mixture of German, British, Arabic and Indian architecture, with cosmopolitan people everywhere, but underlying it all, Dar is a true Swahili city.
People idle away the time chatting, the pace of life is relaxed and the residents are friendly and welcoming to visitors. It is easy to while away an afternoon here, before continuing your journey to Tanzania's parks and islands.
Suggested Dar es Salaam itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Dar es Salaam, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Dar es Salaam
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Dar es Salaam. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Dar es Salaam
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dar es Salaam
- Ras Kutani 28 kilometers away
- Bagamoyo 60 kilometers away
- Saadani 114 kilometers away
- Tanzania's Swahili Coast 152 kilometers away
- Pangani 160 kilometers away
- Songo Songo Archipelago 193 kilometers away
- Mikumi National Park 233 kilometers away
- Selous Game Reserve 271 kilometers away
- Southern Tanzania 339 kilometers away
- Mount Kilimanjaro 470 kilometers away
- Tarangire National Park 479 kilometers away
- Arusha 480 kilometers away