Visit Phanom Rung, Thailand
Phanom Rung, Thailand
This dramatic example of Khmer architecture stands majestically on the summit of an inactive volcano with views towards Angkor Wat and the Dongrek mountains in Cambodia.
Phanom Rung was erected as a Hindu monument between the 10th and 13th centuries and later additions to the site were made during Buddhist eras.
There are many impressive design features including a spectacular approach along a 200 metre avenue of pink sandstone pillars capped with lotus-buds to an ornate five-headed naga bridge and an ascent of many steps to the main sanctuary.
The exquisitely carved buildings are aligned so that on the days of the Full Moon in April you can stand at the western entrance and see the rising sun through all fifteen doors.
Suggested itineraries featuring Phanom Rung
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Phanom Rung, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Phanom Rung
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Phanom Rung
- Phimai 114 kilometers away
- Khao Yai National Park 166 kilometers away
- Phra Wihan 175 kilometers away
- Koh Munnork 247 kilometers away
- Koh Samet 265 kilometers away
- Ayutthaya 271 kilometers away
- Bangkok 283 kilometers away
- Khong Jiam 291 kilometers away
- Koh Kood 306 kilometers away
- Udon Thani 344 kilometers away
- Isaan 347 kilometers away
- Amphawa 351 kilometers away
- Loei Province 377 kilometers away
- Nakhon Phanom 380 kilometers away
- Kanchanaburi & The River Kwai 383 kilometers away
- Nong Khai 394 kilometers away
- Sukhothai 456 kilometers away