We're unable to offer trips to Tunisia at the moment. We'll continue to monitor the situation.
Visit Dougga, Tunisia
Dougga is the pinnacle of the Roman presence in Tunisia, and looks out majestically over the hills. What makes it so aesthetically pleasing is its geography - perched on high, it is a picture of verdancy.
While some might argue that Tunisia does not possess a stunning draw such as the Pyramids of Giza or the ancient city of Petra, there is little doubt that Dougga is the pinnacle of the Roman presence in Tunisia, and looks out majestically over the hills.
What perhaps makes it so aesthetically pleasing is its geography - perched on high, it is a picture of verdancy and her stone columns stand proudly against the green countryside.
It occupies an unusual position for a Roman town because its origins date back well before the Romans - in fact, it was a Numidian stronghold, and enjoyed great prosperity through Masinissa, its ruler.
Masinissa allied himself to the Romans rather than the Carthigians, and the town, and its probable 10,000 residents, thereafter found great favour.
Map of Dougga
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dougga
- Bulla Regia 46 kilometers away
- Thuburbo Majus 62 kilometers away
- Tabarka 72 kilometers away
- Tunis 96 kilometers away
- Carthage 110 kilometers away
- Sidi Bou Said 113 kilometers away
- Kairouan 115 kilometers away
- El Jem 184 kilometers away
- Tamerza 255 kilometers away
- Tozeur 296 kilometers away
- Jerba 330 kilometers away
- Ksar Ghilane 385 kilometers away