Carmel-by-the-Sea is one of the California's most beautiful seaside hideaways. A world-class destination for golfers, hikers, spa-enthusiasts and gourmets alike, this delightful beachside community boasts white sand beaches, turquoise waters, native Cypress trees and a picture postcard village.
The town is easily explored on foot and is home to some of the region's best shopping, fine dining, art galleries, beaches and parks.
Also worth visiting is nearby Monterey, a short drive away on world-famous 17 Mile Drive, a scenic route that hugs the coast and passes lush golf courses and lavish mansions en route.
Monterey, made famous by John Steinbeck in his epic book Cannery Row, is located on the shores of one of America’s most famous natural ocean sanctuaries and is home to the well-known Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Suggested itineraries featuring Carmel
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Carmel, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Carmel
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Carmel
- Monterey 6 kilometers away
- Big Sur 34 kilometers away
- San Francisco 143 kilometers away
- Pismo Beach 196 kilometers away
- Napa Valley 199 kilometers away
- Sonoma 200 kilometers away
- Sacramento 229 kilometers away
- Yosemite National Park 255 kilometers away
- Sequoia National Park 301 kilometers away
- Kings Canyon National Park 305 kilometers away
- Santa Barbara 312 kilometers away
- Lake Tahoe 328 kilometers away
- Mendocino 348 kilometers away
- Death Valley National Park 434 kilometers away
- Los Angeles 437 kilometers away