Founded in 1797 by Scots-Irish settlers on their way to the Shenandoah Valley, Gettysburg is best known as the site of the famous 1863 Civil War battle.
More than 50,000 men died here and the battlefield remains a poignant place where the chilling silence eerily recalls its significant place in American history. The battlefield has been preserved to tell the story of war, yet honour the soldiers who fought for their cause and changed the fate of American history forever.
It was at Gettysburg that the leaders of both the Union and Confederate armies, who would ultimately play out the Civil War to its end, first met. All seemed to understand that the outcome of the war would be determined here. In a bold attempt to invade America’s capital city, the Confederate army amassed thousands of troops ready to open a gateway to take Washington from the north while the Union understood that the ground had to be held at any cost, or the war would be lost. Entire regiments were wiped out as the tide turned against the South.
Months later President Lincoln delivered his much lauded Gettysburg Address here, and urged the nation to unite in democracy. Today the town is surrounded by vineyards, historic villages and quiet timeless countryside.
Suggested Gettysburg itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Gettysburg, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Gettysburg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Gettysburg
- Baltimore 80 kilometers away
- Lancaster 83 kilometers away
- Washington DC 106 kilometers away
- Annapolis 115 kilometers away
- Front Royal 132 kilometers away
- St. Michael's 146 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 178 kilometers away
- Charlottesville 228 kilometers away
- Richmond 256 kilometers away
- Williamsburg 289 kilometers away
- New York 294 kilometers away
- Ithaca 298 kilometers away
- Virginia Beach 349 kilometers away
- New York State 364 kilometers away
- Buffalo 367 kilometers away
- Roanoke 370 kilometers away
- Rochester 372 kilometers away
- Niagara Falls 394 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 428 kilometers away
- Albany 428 kilometers away
- Lenox 435 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 463 kilometers away
- Raleigh 469 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Gettysburg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Gettysburg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.