Cajón del Maipo (Canyon of the Maipo) is a lovely escape from Santiago hustle and bustle.
It was created in the foothills of the Andes where the Río (river) Maipo cut a deep canyon for more than 43 miles (70 km) and ends out in the open at the main town of Pirque. This town was once the border of the Kollasuyu, the Peruvian Inca Empire’s southernmost limits.
The Maipo valley offers activities such as wine tasting, rafting, kayaking and basic hot springs on the river itself as well as hikes in the surrounding area. It is busier in high season December-February and also at weekends or on public vacations.
Map of Cajón del Maipo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cajón del Maipo
- Santiago 37 kilometers away
- Casablanca Valley 104 kilometers away
- Valparaiso 136 kilometers away
- The Central Valley & Coast 140 kilometers away
- Colchagua Valley 143 kilometers away
- Santa Cruz & the Wineries 145 kilometers away
- Elqui Valley 420 kilometers away
- La Serena & The Elqui Valley 425 kilometers away