The MS Expedition started life as a car ferry in Scandinavia, which gives you some hint of the space available to the 132 passengers who now sail on her. Large cabins, plenty of deck space and a relaxed atmosphere are a little of what you’ll experience on board, along with a desire to get you off the boat to explore, whenever possible.
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
MS Expedition launched as an expedition cruiser in 2009, after a complete refurbishment that turned it into one of the most comfortable expedition vessels around. The boat is fully ice strengthened and fitted with stabilisers to equip it for sailing in heavy seas. Every cabin has exterior views and en suite facilities, and you’ll also find large areas of communal space. The MS Expedition has some nice touches you won’t find elsewhere, including a 360-degree panoramic deck.
Practically speaking, the boat’s twin set-up for accessing its large fleet of Zodiacs makes for one of the quickest turnarounds for landings. It also carries kayaks and tents on every sailing (activities are extra and booked in advance — please speak to your specialist).
The good range of cabins varies from shared, triple occupancy cabins, which suit solo passengers, to large cabins with picture windows. All the cabins are exterior facing with en suite facilities. The majority have twin beds (which can’t be combined). The decor is clean and simple, and while the cabins are no frills they contain everything you need.
- Buffet breakfast and lunch served in the restaurant.
- Lunch can be outside on the aft deck in good weather.
- À la carte dinner in the restaurant.
- Bar serving all-day snacks, tea and coffee.
- 7-night Svalbard trips.
- 14-night Greenland and Iceland expedition.
- A variety of expeditions between the Poles, which varies from year to year and can include South America or Africa.
- Daily landings
- Zodiac cruising
- Wildlife viewing
- On-board lectures
- 360-degree observation deck
- Open bridge
- Gym and sauna
- Open deck space, including barbecue area
- Computer room with internet (where available)
- Medical clinic
- Library sponsored by Lonely Planet
- Complimentary jacket and complimentary boot hire