Matusadona National Park is situated on the southern shores of Lake Kariba and is one of Zimbabwe's less-visited parks.
137,000 hectares in area, it is bounded on the west by the Ume River and on the east by the Sanyati River. The Park takes its name from the local Matuzviadonha Hills and is a stunning combination of flat plains and rugged mountain country.
The meaning of ‘Matuzviadonha’ is ‘falling dung’ — which was probably a comment on the sight of elephants dropping dung balls as they struggled up the hills.
It is home to black rhino and is commonly recognized as having the second largest concentration of lion in Africa after the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania.
The Matusadona shoreline on Lake Kariba invites water based activities, usually from game viewing boats or pontoons. Matusadona is most easily accessible by boat or light aircraft from Kariba.
Map of Matusadona National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matusadona National Park
- Lake Kariba 80 kilometers away
- Mana Pools National Park 141 kilometers away
- Harare 277 kilometers away
- Hwange National Park 308 kilometers away
- Victoria Falls 315 kilometers away
- The Zambezi Riverfront 352 kilometers away
- Bulawayo 361 kilometers away
- Matobo National Park 397 kilometers away
- Great Zimbabwe 447 kilometers away