Hokkaido’s capital, Sapporo, dates back only 120 years, and this bright, cosmopolitan city, well-endowed with gardens and parks, makes the perfect base from which to head out and explore the island.
In recent times it has played host to the Winter Olympics and matches in the 2002 Football World Cup, and each February the city welcomes the world to the wonderful Sapporo Snow Festival, an ice-sculpting extravaganza on an epic scale.
Further south, separated from the mainland by the narrow Tsugaru Straits, is the charming port town of Hakodate. There is something of the feel of Nagasaki here, with the intriguing mixture of Japanese and Western architecture giving an unexpectedly cosmopolitan atmosphere. Take a cable-car at dusk to the summit of Mount Hakodate and watch as the sparkling lights of town radiate out into the distance.
Suggested itinerary featuring Sapporo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Sapporo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sapporo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sapporo
- Hokkaido 126 kilometers away
- Asahidake 139 kilometers away
- Hakodate 149 kilometers away
- Sounkyo 149 kilometers away
- Akan-ko National Park 227 kilometers away
- Kushiro 247 kilometers away
- Towadako & Hirosaki 290 kilometers away
- Utoro 315 kilometers away
- Shiretoko National Park 315 kilometers away
- Nyuto Onsen 370 kilometers away
- Tazawako 377 kilometers away
- Kakunodate 392 kilometers away
- Tohoku 457 kilometers away
Photos of Sapporo
Accommodation choices for Sapporo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sapporo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.