Straddling the border between Akita and Aomori prefectures is Towadako, one of Honshu’s most scenic lakes, and hugely popular with local visitors during the turning leaf ‘koyo’ season from mid- October, when the beech and maple-clad hillsides of the Oirase Valley turn to spectacular shades of gold and crimson.
The area is replete with atmospheric inns offering traditional fare and natural hot spring bathing. A little to the north the town of Hirosaki boasts a cosmopolitan ambience belying its location, with a splendid summer festival, a fine castle and samurai district.
Suggested itinerary featuring Towadako & Hirosaki
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Towadako & Hirosaki, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Towadako & Hirosaki
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Towadako & Hirosaki
- Nyuto Onsen 80 kilometers away
- Tazawako 87 kilometers away
- Kakunodate 103 kilometers away
- Hakodate 148 kilometers away
- Tohoku 168 kilometers away
- Dewa-sanzan 228 kilometers away
- Matsushima 240 kilometers away
- Sapporo 290 kilometers away
- Hokkaido 371 kilometers away
- Asahidake 391 kilometers away
- Sounkyo 401 kilometers away
- Kushiro 404 kilometers away
- Akan-ko National Park 426 kilometers away
- Nikko 430 kilometers away
- Noto Peninsula 453 kilometers away
- Yudanaka 468 kilometers away