Visit Yudanaka, Japan
North west of Nagano City lies the fertile valley of the Chikuma river. This region is well known for its fruit farms and in particular apples the size of your palm! Peaches, blueberries and plums also grow in abundance.
At the end of the private Nagano Dentetsu train line is Yudanaka, a hot spring resort which sits perched in the hills intermingled with Yamanouchi town. There are many hot springs here and the most famous is Shibu Onsen at Jigokudani, which is the chosen home to more than one hundred Japanese snow monkeys, Japan's indigenous primate.
The park is located in "Hell Valley" so named because of its hot steam vents, sulfurous streams and other volcanic activity which all serve to naturally heat the spring waters bubbling through the rocks to form hot spring pools. One of these "onsen" baths is for use exclusively by the monkeys that can be seen bathing throughout most of the year, but especially during the cold winter months, when the air temperature drops below freezing and the valley is covered by a thick layer of snow.
Nearby Shiga-kogen offers skiing opportunities in the winter and some good walking routes through the summer months.
Suggested itineraries featuring Yudanaka
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Yudanaka, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Yudanaka
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Yudanaka
- The Japanese Alps 47 kilometers away
- Hakuba 59 kilometers away
- Matsumoto 70 kilometers away
- Kamikochi 84 kilometers away
- Tateyama 95 kilometers away
- Nikko 115 kilometers away
- Takayama 125 kilometers away
- Noto Peninsula 131 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 146 kilometers away
- Tsumago 150 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 159 kilometers away
- Tokyo 169 kilometers away
- Hakone & Mount Fuji 178 kilometers away
- Kamakura 189 kilometers away
- Izu Peninsula 212 kilometers away
- Dewa-sanzan 244 kilometers away
- Matsushima 297 kilometers away
- Kyoto 307 kilometers away
- Tohoku 327 kilometers away
- Nara 331 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 347 kilometers away
- Osaka 348 kilometers away
- Kakunodate 369 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 382 kilometers away
- Tazawako 385 kilometers away
- Nyuto Onsen 394 kilometers away
- Tottori 401 kilometers away
- Tokushima 460 kilometers away
- Towadako & Hirosaki 468 kilometers away
- Naoshima 475 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 478 kilometers away
Photos of Yudanaka
Accommodation choices for Yudanaka
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Yudanaka. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.