Clifton Glamping is situated on a working sheep farm that has been owned by six generations of the same family since 1860. With just two spacious safari-style tents among the rural scenery of Hawke's Bay, the property has an intimate and exclusive feel while remaining down to earth. Balancing luxury with the chance to immerse yourself in nature, the glampsite gives you space and privacy, with each en suite tent boasting views over native bushland and the Maraetotara River from large wooden decks.
Hosts Lucia and Tom create a welcoming atmosphere and will share ideas for hikes and other activities in the area, as well as cooking breakfast to your tastes each morning. Staying here, you’re within easy driving distance of the region’s renowned vineyards and restaurants, as well as being close to the town of Napier with its shops and wineries, while still enjoying the feeling of being off-the-grid. You’re also close to a beach, clifftop walks, and the Southern Hemisphere’s largest gannet colony. In the evening, you can toast marshmallows around the firepit and gaze up at the unpolluted night sky.
We love this peaceful glampsite and think it’s perfect for couples looking to not only enjoy nature, but to wake up in it. The tents balance simplicity with all the living necessities you need for a comfortable and rewarding retreat.
Speak to someone
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Photos of Clifton Glamping
The two luxurious tents give you space and privacy in a peaceful natural setting. Light and airy with cream canvas walls, they’re furnished with a large double bed, wicker seating, and a wood burner, as well as a couple of house plants.
Each has a large wooden deck facing the river, complete with table and chairs where you can sit and listen to the sounds of native birdlife. Freshen up in your own outdoor shower or soak in the private outdoor bathtub overlooking the forest. You’ll also have access to an outdoor kitchenette, including a barbecue, for alfresco dining.
The glampsite has an idyllic setting surrounded by nature on the banks of the Maraetotara River, while still being just a five-minute drive from Te Awanga and 20 minutes from Napier, Hastings, and Havelock North. It’s an excellent base for hopping between the region’s renowned wineries and farm-to-fork restaurants.
Food and drink
- Locally sourced continental breakfast provisions for you to prepare in your kitchenette.
- Hawke's Bay’s renowned restaurants and wineries are all close by.
- Help yourself to marshmallows, homemade muesli, and freshly baked bread throughout your stay.
Facilities and activities
Clifton Glamping focuses on enjoying the simplicity of being out in nature, so has few amenities. But, there’s plenty to do and see on your doorstep:
- Take a dip in the waters of the Maraetotara River, just a few steps from your tent, or head to Clifton Beach.
- Explore the region’s world-class wineries.
- Take a walk along some of the area’s trails, including routes along Cape Kidnappers Cliffs — your hosts will share their recommendations.
- Enjoy a massage in the spa at nearby The Farm at Cape Kidnappers.
- Toast marshmallows on the outdoor fire pit.
- Visit the largest gannet colony in the Southern Hemisphere nearby.
Tour ideas in Napier
Our itineraries are there to spark ideas for how you could include a stay at Clifton Glamping as part of your trip. Treat them simply as suggestions, because every aspect of the trip we create for you will be yours to define.
Location & places nearby
Places & hotels on the map
Alternative places to stay nearby
Where possible, we like to offer a range of accommodation for each stop of your trip, chosen by our specialists as some of their favorite places to stay. To help you make the right choice, we give each property a rating based on its facilities and service, but we also look for hotels with distinct character or a location that can’t be bettered.
Experiences while staying here
The following activities are designed to give you the most authentic experiences of the area where you’re staying. We work with local guides, who use their knowledge and often a resident’s eye to show you the main sights and more out-of-the-way attractions. Our specialists can also suggest outdoor pursuits and activities, such as cooking classes, that will introduce you to the traditions of the area’s inhabitants.
On Yer Bike Winery Tour
On Yer Bike Winery Tour
On Yer Bike Winery Tour
Hawke's Bay is beautiful and most importantly flat, which makes it perfect cycling terrain. All bikes are professionally maintained and as well as safety helmets come with baskets or backpacks and visibility flags.View details
Napier and nearby places
- Hawke's Bay 7 kilometers away
- Hastings 13 kilometers away
- North Island 111 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 134 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 134 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 141 kilometers away
- Rotorua 180 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 170 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 217 kilometers away
- Waitomo 225 kilometers away