Visit Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
At the southern end of Lake Taupo, the three active volcanic mountains of Ruapehu, Tongariro and Ngauruhoe are protected as a National Park. In the winter the area is a playground for skiers and in summer a wilderness for walking.
Dotted with emerald lakes and criss-crossed with lava flows, this is some of New Zealand’s most varied and remarkable terrain. The best way to explore is by tramping, but other activities including scenic flights, kayaking, rafting and mountain biking are on offer in the small local townships.
The Tongariro Crossing
Often billed as the finest one-day walk in New Zealand, the Tongariro Crossing is a superb introduction to the region’s scenic beauty. The track itself takes seven to eight hours to complete, with shuttles available to and from the start and end points.
It crosses alpine scrubland and moonscape craters, skirts emerald lakes and passes hot springs before descending through dense podocarp forest to the Ketatahi Hut. Optional side trips climb the summits of Mount Ngaurohoe and Mount Tongariro for panoramic views over the Thermal Plateau.
Suggested itinerary featuring Tongariro National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tongariro National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tongariro National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tongariro National Park
- North Island 65 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 77 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 89 kilometers away
- Waitomo 115 kilometers away
- Hastings 122 kilometers away
- Napier 122 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 129 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 131 kilometers away
- Rotorua 137 kilometers away
- Tauranga 181 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 182 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 190 kilometers away
- Greytown 206 kilometers away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 212 kilometers away
- Waikato 218 kilometers away
- Martinborough 222 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 225 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 233 kilometers away
- Wellington 238 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 247 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 259 kilometers away
- Picton 264 kilometers away
- Auckland 275 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 275 kilometers away
- Devonport 276 kilometers away
- Blenheim 288 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 290 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 293 kilometers away
- Nelson 298 kilometers away
- Warkworth 325 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 326 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 339 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 387 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 431 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 432 kilometers away
- Paihia 459 kilometers away
- Russell 460 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 467 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 468 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 478 kilometers away
Photos of Tongariro National Park
Accommodation choices for Tongariro National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tongariro National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Situated in the heart of the Tongariro National Park, and with Mount Ruapehu as a stunning backdrop, the Tongariro Chateau undoubtedly boasts one of the finest locations in New Zealand.
Ideally situated just a few minutes from Ohakune Township and Tongariro National Park, Ruapehu Golf & Country Lodge offers the perfect escape for those who love the great outdoors.
Ideas for experiencing Tongariro National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tongariro National Park, and which use the best local guides.
Tongariro Guided Walk
Tongariro Guided Walk
Tongariro Guided Walk
This one day walk traverses the stark and spectacular volcanic terrain of Mount Tongariro, and is one of the most fascinating treks in the world. This walk is led by an expert guide who will provide informative commentary, so finding your way will not be a problem.View details
This tour, which involves walking or riding along the historic cobblestone Coach Road through a bush corridor on the slopes of Mount Ruapehu, is an exciting adventure and a journey back in time.View details