Visit Wairarapa & surrounds, New Zealand
Situated at the foot of the Rimutaka Range, the colonial town of Featherston is the gateway to the Wairarapa wine region.
Close by is Lake Wairarapa, the biggest wetland area in the lower North Island and home to both native and migratory birds. Martinborough is essentially a vineyard village oasis set among rolling farmland, with plenty of cafés, restaurants and arts and crafts shops.
After a lunch in the picturesque square the vineyards are all easily accessible for an afternoon tasting tour. To the north is Greytown, a quaint colonial village with a remarkable history.
It was settled in 1854 when five men and one woman crossed the Rimutaka Ranges, with their scant possessions carried by four bullocks. The small shelters and cottages they built can still be seen today.
Places to visit in Wairarapa & surrounds
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Wairarapa & surrounds, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Wairarapa & surrounds
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Wairarapa & surrounds, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Wairarapa & surrounds
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Wairarapa & surrounds
- Greytown Wairarapa & surrounds
- The Kapiti Coast Wairarapa & surrounds
- Martinborough Wairarapa & surrounds
- Wellington 64 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 119 kilometers away
- Picton 127 kilometers away
- Blenheim 137 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 140 kilometers away
- Nelson 187 kilometers away
- Hastings 202 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 207 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 212 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 215 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 216 kilometers away
- Napier 219 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 243 kilometers away
- North Island 256 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 256 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 262 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 271 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 277 kilometers away
- Waitomo 322 kilometers away
- Rotorua 340 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 350 kilometers away
- Christchurch 356 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 363 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 364 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 384 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 385 kilometers away
- Tauranga 389 kilometers away
- Hokitika 415 kilometers away
- Waikato 424 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 445 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 471 kilometers away
- Auckland 482 kilometers away
Photos of Wairarapa & surrounds
Accommodation choices for Wairarapa & surrounds
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Wairarapa & surrounds. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Wharekauhau Country Estate is set on a 5,000 acre working sheep station on New Zealand's dramatic south-eastern coast. It blends warm, convivial country hospitality with elegant and graceful luxury.
The Martinborough Hotel is a wonderful property ideally located within walking distance of all the central wineries.
Located in the Wairarapa wine region, Parehua Martinborough Country Estate offers spacious and stylish accommodation, and is just a short walk from the historic Martinborough wine village.