Visit Katherine, Australia
Located about 300 kilometers south of Darwin, on the southside of the Katherine River this quirky outback town remains a hub of activity and importance to both local Aboriginal groups who use the river and gorges as meeting places, and the adventurous tourist who ventures off the beaten track to see its magnificent gorges.
Named after the daughter of explorer John McDouall Stuart who passed through in 1862 the town has since grown and developed around the instruction of the critical lifeline of the Overland Telegraph station and which effectively put Katherine on the map.
Today its economic mainstays are centered around tourism, the Mount Todd goldmine and Tindal RAAF airbase.
Map of Katherine
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Katherine
- Nitmiluk National Park 27 kilometers away
- Kakadu National Park 187 kilometers away
- Litchfield National Park 203 kilometers away
- Arnhem Land 238 kilometers away
- Bamurru Plains 248 kilometers away
- Darwin 272 kilometers away
- Bullo River Station 291 kilometers away
- Cobourg Peninsula 346 kilometers away
- Kununurra 407 kilometers away
Photos of Katherine
Accommodation choices for Katherine
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Katherine. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideally situated on the riverfront of the picturesque Katherine River, and within a stone's throw of the stunning Nitmiluk Gorge, Cicada lodge offers the perfect base from which to explore this truly wonderful setting.