Visit Preah Vihear, Cambodia
Preah Vihear is set atop a 547 meter spike of the Dongrek Mountains. Located on the Cambodian/Thai border about 140 kilometers northeast of Siem Reap there has been a long running dispute between Cambodia and Thailand over ownership due to the fact that the temple entrance is accessible from just inside the Thai border but the central sanctuary stands on Cambodian soil.
Built around the same time as Phanom Rung as a tribute to the Hindu God Shiva, this is one of the most astonishing religious monuments to be seen in Cambodia and arguably more spectacular than its more esteemed counterpart Angkor Wat. The steep climb to the summit is rewarded with rest stops at the various temple platforms and the stunning views from the top are truly worth the climb.
Preah Vihear is a historical landmark and bears witness to centuries of worship, and, in recent years, was as a former stronghold of the Khmer Rouge. After a number of years of instability visitors are again permitted to the region which is home to this UNESCO world heritage site and a key attraction for those visiting Cambodia.
Suggested itineraries featuring Preah Vihear
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Preah Vihear, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Preah Vihear
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Preah Vihear
- Temples of Angkor 140 kilometers away
- Siem Reap 146 kilometers away
- Banteay Chhmar 174 kilometers away
- Battambang 215 kilometers away
- Kratie & Chhlong 257 kilometers away
- Ratanakiri 259 kilometers away
- Ban Lung 260 kilometers away
- Phnom Penh 316 kilometers away
- Sen Monorom 347 kilometers away
- Mondulkiri 353 kilometers away
- Koh Kong 360 kilometers away
- Kampot 425 kilometers away
- Kep 437 kilometers away
- Sihanoukville 439 kilometers away