Situated high above the banks of the sacred Narmada River, Ahilya Fort was the capital of one of the most celebrated women rulers — Ahilya Bai Holkar. Built in 1766, the fort-palace is a typical example of the Maratha architecture of the period.
Your host is Prince Shivaji Roa Holker, son of the last Maharajah of Indore who takes a personal interest in the care of his guests. During your stay, a boat trip can be taken to Baneshwar Temple in the middle of the river where you can swim in the cool, unpolluted waters. Ahilya Fort has one two-bedroom suite, eight double bedrooms and two luxury tents.
Completely off the beaten track, Ahilya Fort is a wonderful place to relax, explore the small untouched village, and drive out to Mandu, a vast abandoned city dating from the 10th century and abandoned in the 16th after an illustrious line of Moghul leaders.
Speak to someone
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Photos of Ahilya Fort
Location & places nearby
Places & hotels on the map
Maheshwar and nearby places
- Aurangabad 256 kilometers away
- Dungarpur 268 kilometers away
- Satpura National Park 280 kilometers away
- Bhainsrorgarh 312 kilometers away
- Chittorgarh 318 kilometers away
- Ahmedabad 324 kilometers away
- Udaipur 330 kilometers away
- Devigarh 354 kilometers away
- Bundi 364 kilometers away
- Pench Tiger Reserve 386 kilometers away