Although near to the sites of much older Hindu settlements, the present town of Aurangabad was founded during the heyday of the Mogul emperors and named after Aurangzeb.
It is known primarily as the most convenient base for exploring the Ajanta and Ellora caves. The medical school and other higher educational institutions bring to it a lively mixture of students from all over the country and over recent years quite a cosmopolitan atmosphere has developed.
Of interest in the immediate vicinity are Aurangabad’s own caves, excavated out of a hillside only three kilometers to the north, and the Daulatabad Fort.
Map of Aurangabad
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Aurangabad
- Maheshwar 257 kilometers away
- Mumbai (Bombay) 278 kilometers away
- Gulbarga 325 kilometers away
- Bijapur 343 kilometers away
- Satpura National Park 423 kilometers away
- Tadoba National Park 430 kilometers away
- Hyderabad 434 kilometers away
- Badami 444 kilometers away
- Ahmedabad 452 kilometers away
- Pench Tiger Reserve 465 kilometers away
- Dungarpur 472 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Aurangabad
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Aurangabad. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.