At one time an important regional capital, Bijapur is now a minor provincial town dotted with gems of Islamic architecture dating back to the late 15th century. The delicately-carved Ibrahim Rauza is said by some to have inspired the Taj Mahal.
Rise early for a visit to the Gol Gumbaz and climb one of the tower's narrow staircases to the amazing whispering gallery — the smallest sound will be carried to the other side of the huge unsupported dome.
The local market
Before you leave we recommend a visit to the local market, frequented by gypsies clothed in brightly colored hand-woven fabrics and the occasional sadhu meditating on a bed of nails.
Map of Bijapur
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bijapur
- Badami 102 kilometers away
- Gulbarga 132 kilometers away
- Hampi 185 kilometers away
- Hospet 188 kilometers away
- Goa 243 kilometers away
- Gokarna 295 kilometers away
- Hyderabad 300 kilometers away
- Aurangabad 343 kilometers away
- Mumbai 389 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 405 kilometers away
- Bangalore 474 kilometers away