At one time an important regional capital, Bijapur is now a minor provincial town dotted with gems of Islamic architecture dating back to the late 15th century. The delicately-carved Ibrahim Rauza is said by some to have inspired the Taj Mahal.
Rise early for a visit to the Gol Gumbaz and climb one of the tower's narrow staircases to the amazing whispering gallery — the smallest sound will be carried to the other side of the huge unsupported dome.
The local market
Before you leave we recommend a visit to the local market, frequented by gypsies clothed in brightly colored hand-woven fabrics and the occasional sadhu meditating on a bed of nails.
Suggested itinerary featuring Bijapur
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Bijapur, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Bijapur
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bijapur
- Badami 102 kilometers away
- Gulbarga 132 kilometers away
- Hampi 185 kilometers away
- Hospet 188 kilometers away
- Goa 243 kilometers away
- Gokarna 295 kilometers away
- Hyderabad 300 kilometers away
- Aurangabad 343 kilometers away
- Mumbai (Bombay) 389 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 405 kilometers away
- Bangalore 474 kilometers away