Visit Pakbeng, Laos
This small rustic town is a staging post, halfway from the Thai border to Luang Prabang, at the end of Route 2 from Udomxai.
H’muong and Tai tribes
Built on a steep slope, overlooking the river, it is has a central market in which you often see tribal H’muong and Tai, from the surrounding villages. If you are an early riser, it is recommended that you visit around 6 am, to experience it at its best.
There is not a lot to do in the town, however there are some simple restaurants, in which you can sample the authentic northern Lao cuisine. These are on the only road through town, and are nice to sit in and simply people watch.
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Pakbeng, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Pakbeng
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Pakbeng
- Luang Prabang 107 kilometers away
- Luang Nam Tha 124 kilometers away
- Muang La 151 kilometers away
- Nong Khiaw 172 kilometers away
- Vang Vieng 178 kilometers away
- The Plain of Jars 214 kilometers away
- Vientiane 266 kilometers away
- Nam Et-Phou Louey 271 kilometers away
- Sam Neau 312 kilometers away
- Vieng Xai 330 kilometers away
- Hin Boun 436 kilometers away
- Thakek 478 kilometers away
Photos of Pakbeng
Accommodation choices for Pakbeng
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Pakbeng. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Luang Say Lodge consists of 20 wooden bungalows linked by walkways, overlooking the Mekong River. These blend tastefully into their natural surroundings and offer spectacular views of the river.