The former copper mining town of Butte is perched on a steep, almost treeless hill framed by the massive black head-frames of long abandoned mine pits and dirty yellow slag heaps.
This oddly compelling landscape is best appreciated at dusk when bright neon signs illuminate the town's old brick buildings.
A friendly and atmospheric town, Butte is home to a community rich in ethnic and trades union culture. Many immigrants have made their mark on the town, particularly the Irish, and Butte plays host to one of the country's largest Saint Patrick's Day celebrations.
Among the town's prime attractions are the World Museum of Mining, the Dumas Brothel Museum and the 90-foot-tall Our Lady of the Rockies statue.
Map of Butte
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Butte
- Yellowstone National Park 223 kilometers away
- Montana 265 kilometers away
- Kalispell 280 kilometers away
- Grand Teton National Park 301 kilometers away
- Whitefish 301 kilometers away
- Glacier National Park 305 kilometers away
- Billings 314 kilometers away
- Cody 319 kilometers away
- Sheridan 456 kilometers away