To the northeast of Yogyakarta is the huge Hindu temple complex of Prambanan.
Built in the middle of the 9th century, about 50 years after the construction of Borobudur, it is thought to celebrate the return of a Hindu dynasty to Java.
Reconstruction of the temples
The temples lay in ruins for hundreds of years after a massive earthquake devastated the site on the eve of its completion. It was only in the 1930s that reconstruction was started and the wealth of sculptural detail on display makes for one of the most outstanding examples of Hindu art in the world.
Suggested itineraries featuring Prambanan
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Prambanan, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Prambanan
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Prambanan
- Yogyakarta 15 kilometers away
- Borobudur 36 kilometers away
- Malang 237 kilometers away
- Surabaya 256 kilometers away
- Mount Bromo 272 kilometers away
- Java 278 kilometers away
- Bandung 333 kilometers away
- Ijen National Park 418 kilometers away
- Jakarta 438 kilometers away
- Bali Barat National Park 450 kilometers away
- Pemuteran 461 kilometers away
- Bali 464 kilometers away
- Medewi 482 kilometers away