Visit Ijen National Park, Indonesia
Ijen plateau is part of the larger Baluran National Park and is home to one of many peaceful but active volcanoes in the area.
Kawah Ijen crater lake
This is an unspoilt area with coffee plantations covering much of the plateau, but the main draw to Ijen is the stunning Kawah Ijen, a beautiful crater lake with glistening turquoise waters. From the lake wafts multicolored smoke and all along the shore are bright yellow sulfur deposits creating a barren but beautiful landscape.
Miners hike up to the crater in the early hours of the morning and descend down into it via a steep gravelly path, returning with up to 80 kilograms of heavy sulfur loads.
Suggested itineraries featuring Ijen National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Ijen National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ijen National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ijen National Park
- Bali Barat National Park 35 kilometers away
- Pemuteran 44 kilometers away
- Bali 49 kilometers away
- Medewi 71 kilometers away
- Lovina 85 kilometers away
- Munduk 93 kilometers away
- Seminyak 119 kilometers away
- Ubud 121 kilometers away
- Jimbaran 127 kilometers away
- Sanur 129 kilometers away
- Tembok 129 kilometers away
- Bukit Peninsula 130 kilometers away
- Mount Bromo 147 kilometers away
- Lembongan Island 147 kilometers away
- Candidasa 152 kilometers away
- Malang 181 kilometers away
- Surabaya 191 kilometers away
- The Gili Islands 200 kilometers away
- Senggigi 203 kilometers away
- Sire Beach 205 kilometers away
- Medana Bay 208 kilometers away
- Lombok 240 kilometers away
- Mount Rinjani 245 kilometers away
- Moyo Island 365 kilometers away
- Prambanan 418 kilometers away
- Yogyakarta 431 kilometers away
- Borobudur 451 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Ijen National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ijen National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Ijen National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Ijen National Park, and which use the best local guides.