Visit Ubud, Indonesia
Ubud has been growing as an artistic center since the late 19th century.
Ubud is located in the center of the island but within easy access of the beach and the capital city Denpasar. It is an ideally located town from which to base yourself if you are planning on exploring all that Bali has to offer.
History and culture of Ubud
Many Western artists and intellectuals began visiting the area in the 1930's and aided in the expansion of the local Balinese arts and crafts. Ubud is now Bali’s cultural nexus, rich with stone and woodcarving, temples and ceremonies, art galleries, dancing, silversmiths and amazing cuisine.
We will either base you in a hotel in the center of the town, amid this colorful activity, or in the countryside, surrounded by terraced paddy fields, quiet and atmospheric rural retreats that are still within easy walking distance of markets, traditional handicrafts shops and restaurants.
Some of Bali’s most ancient monuments and relics are found around Ubud, especially to the east and north.
Pura Samuan Tiga temple and Goa Gajah (or Elephant Cave)
Yeh Pulu is a 25 meter long carved cliff face that is believed to date back to the late 14th century, when it was used as a hermitage. Pura Samuan Tiga temple is close by and Goa Gajah, or Elephant Cave, dates back to the 11th century. For each of these places you need to be prepared to wear a sarong (men and women) as they are all considered to be holy sites. Celuk is a metalwork center located just south of Ubud, where numerous jewelers sell gold and silver works.
Volcano of Gunung Batur
The volcanic cone of Gunung Batur, north of Ubud, stands at a height of 1,717 meters and there are some spectacular drives in the area with wonderful views of the surrounding rice paddies and terraces as well as of the volcano itself. Due west of here is the stunning Lake Bratan, home to the temple of Pura Ulun Danau Bratan framed by the dramatic backdrop of the Gunung Catur volcano.
East and southwest of Ubud
East of Ubud is the less visited area of Sideman and Iseh, with towering views of the sacred Gunung Agung. This area is also well known for its rural character and terraced paddy fields. Located to the southwest of Ubud is the secluded coast of Yeh Gangga, 17th century architecture at Kerambitan and Bali’s most famous and photographed temple: Pura Tanah Lot.
Suggested itineraries featuring Ubud
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Ubud, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ubud
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ubud
- Sanur 20 kilometers away
- Seminyak 22 kilometers away
- Lembongan Island 29 kilometers away
- Jimbaran 32 kilometers away
- Munduk 34 kilometers away
- Candidasa 34 kilometers away
- Bukit Peninsula 36 kilometers away
- Tembok 44 kilometers away
- Lovina 47 kilometers away
- Medewi 51 kilometers away
- Bali 72 kilometers away
- Pemuteran 79 kilometers away
- Bali Barat National Park 86 kilometers away
- Senggigi 88 kilometers away
- The Gili Islands 90 kilometers away
- Sire Beach 94 kilometers away
- Medana Bay 97 kilometers away
- Ijen National Park 121 kilometers away
- Lombok 125 kilometers away
- Mount Rinjani 133 kilometers away
- Moyo Island 256 kilometers away
- Mount Bromo 263 kilometers away
- Malang 297 kilometers away
- Surabaya 311 kilometers away
- Tambolaka 450 kilometers away
- Komodo Island 466 kilometers away
- Pantai Marosi 467 kilometers away
- Pantai Nihiwatu 474 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Ubud
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ubud. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Ubud
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Ubud, and which use the best local guides.