Visit Kerak, Jordan
For over three thousand years the route from Amman south to the Arabian Peninsula has been busy with pilgrims, merchants and conquering armies. Winding through sheer wadis, and along precipitous ridges, it passes numerous important historical sites.
For the modern visitor, it begins with a visit to Madaba and Mt Nebo, before heading south to the crusader castles. The most impressive of these is Kerak, whose solid crusader walls, refined by the Mamlukes, sit on top of a steep outcrop, making this an almost impregnable position.
An altogether older fortress sits at Mukawir, on an isolated cone of rock overlooking the Dead Sea - it was here that Salome danced for Herod in exchange for the head of John the Baptist.
Suggested Kerak itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kerak, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kerak
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kerak
- The Dead Sea 56 kilometers away
- Dana Biosphere Reserve 57 kilometers away
- Madaba 61 kilometers away
- Mount Nebo 66 kilometers away
- Amman 89 kilometers away
- Little Petra & Aaron's Tomb 93 kilometers away
- Petra 98 kilometers away
- Jerash & The Decapolis 124 kilometers away
- Wadi Rum 185 kilometers away
- Aqaba 200 kilometers away