Once a delightful little fishing village, Playa del Carmen has over the years been extensively developed and is now the second largest town along the Mayan Riviera after Cancun. "Playa," as it is called by locals, is a magical little town, that still preserves a certain bohemian charm.
It is a fun tourist town with plenty of bars, restaurants, shops, facilities and hotels, but those looking for a more peaceful experience would be better to stay in one of the more boutique hotels further along the Mayan Riviera and visit the town on a day trip or night out.
Map of Playa del Carmen
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Playa del Carmen
- The Mayan Riviera less than 5 kilometers away
- Tulum 61 kilometers away
- Cancun 63 kilometers away
- Cobá 71 kilometers away
- Isla Mujeres 76 kilometers away
- Isla Holbox 102 kilometers away
- Chichén Itzá 157 kilometers away
- Yucatán Peninsula 182 kilometers away
- Mérida 268 kilometers away
- Kabáh 273 kilometers away
- Uxmal 284 kilometers away