Visit the Loire Valley, France
At the heart of court life for centuries, the Loire Valley was the chosen setting for a succession of lavish chateaux where the French nobility once flaunted their wealth, power and architectural prowess. It's a region packed with historic palaces and vineyards following the River Loire’s path, and our France specialists can help you to decide where to go using their extensive local knowledge. Whether you wish to explore the finest palaces and gardens or visit the homes of award-winning wines, they can guide you toward planning your trip to the Loire.
A highlight for many is the graceful Château de Chenonceau, which spans a languid expanse of water on a series of elegant arches. Nearby Amboise has a palace perched on an outcrop, while the Château de Villandry is almost upstaged by its landscaped gardens. For many though, it is Chambord, the largest and grandest of the chateaux, that lingers longest in the memory. Our specialists can guide you to the region's main sights and the lesser-known ones as they carefully plan your vacation individually to match your preferences.
Places to visit in the Loire Valley
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Loire Valley, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Loire Valley
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Loire Valley, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Loire Valley
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Loire Valley
- Amboise The Loire Valley
- Château d'Azay-le-Rideau The Loire Valley
- Château de Chambord The Loire Valley
- Château de Chaumont-sur-Loire The Loire Valley
- Château de Chenonceau The Loire Valley
- Château de Cheverny The Loire Valley
- Château de Villandry The Loire Valley
- Chinon The Loire Valley
- Normandy 161 kilometers away
- Paris 176 kilometers away
- Rouen 211 kilometers away
- Honfleur 216 kilometers away
- Mont Saint-Michel 224 kilometers away
- Bayeux 230 kilometers away
- Dordogne 283 kilometers away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 297 kilometers away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 303 kilometers away
- La Roque-Gageac 304 kilometers away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 306 kilometers away
- Saint-Émilion 311 kilometers away
- Bordeaux 327 kilometers away
- Lyon 354 kilometers away
- Annecy 431 kilometers away
- Rhône-Alpes 432 kilometers away
- Talloires 441 kilometers away
- Uzès 475 kilometers away
- Orange 481 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Loire Valley
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Loire Valley. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing the Loire Valley
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Loire Valley, and which use the best local guides.