Set on the banks of the Loire, Amboise is dominated by its 15th-century château set on an escarpment above the town. Once the playground of Charles VIII, it’s also the final resting place of Leonardo da Vinci, who lived and worked nearby. You can visit his grand manor house, the Château du Clos Lucé, stroll the streets or browse through the lively Sunday market stalls for a taste of provincial French life. Along with narrow streets lined with half-timbered houses, you'll also find cave dwellings built into the cliffs.
France specialist Jesse
Centrally located, Amboise is a great place to base your visit to the Loire Valley. But I always make time to explore the town itself, which has medieval streets, a ruined castle and a museum dedicated to resident Leonardo da Vinci.
Things to see and do in Amboise
Lording over the town from its lofty position, Château d'Amboise was the childhood home of Charles VIII. In the late 15th century he decided to turn the medieval fortress into a fitting monument to his aspirations. His extravagant Renaissance and Gothic additions transformed the château into a lavish palace five times its present size, but the young king died aged 28 before the work was completed.
Charles’ cousin and heir Louis XII inherited the castle and continued the renovations. Over time, war, a brutal battle with the Huguenots and financial woes meant the château was much altered and eventually reduced in size.
It’s still a highly impressive place with massive ramps leading up its great towers, which allowed access to horses and carriages. Inside, its delicate fan vaulting, monumental fireplaces, large-scale tapestries and original furnishings give a good impression of how court life must have been.
One of the most impressive rooms is the flamboyant Gothic chapel dedicated to Saint Hubert. It’s here Leonardo da Vinci is buried. Along with touring the château, it’s also worth walking along the ramparts. They offer far-reaching views of the town and river, as do the lavish formal gardens.
Leonardo da Vinci's house at Clos Lucé
In the early 16th century, the 64-year-old Leonardo da Vinci moved to Amboise at the request of François I, who was very interested in the Italian Renaissance movement. Da Vinci was given the grand 15th-century manor house the Château du Clos Lucé as a residence.
Here, he continued to draw, paint and invent, and models of many of his contraptions are on display in the house and its gardens. You can tour the rooms in which da Vinci worked and see the bedroom where he slept and eventually died in May 1519. The great artist and inventor became a good friend of François I and died in his arms, three years after moving to Amboise.
Suggested itineraries featuring Amboise
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Amboise, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Amboise
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Amboise
- Château de Chenonceau 12 kilometers away
- The Loire Valley 16 kilometers away
- Château de Chaumont-sur-Loire 16 kilometers away
- Château de Cheverny 37 kilometers away
- Château de Villandry 37 kilometers away
- Château d'Azay-le-Rideau 44 kilometers away
- Château de Chambord 46 kilometers away
- Chinon 64 kilometers away
- Normandy 175 kilometers away
- Paris 190 kilometers away
- Rouen 226 kilometers away
- Honfleur 231 kilometers away
- Mont Saint-Michel 231 kilometers away
- Bayeux 242 kilometers away
- Dordogne 269 kilometers away
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 282 kilometers away
- Beynac-et-Cazenac 287 kilometers away
- La Roque-Gageac 289 kilometers away
- Castelnaud-la-Chapelle 290 kilometers away
- Saint-Émilion 296 kilometers away
- Reims 305 kilometers away
- Bordeaux 312 kilometers away
- Arras 346 kilometers away
- Lyon 347 kilometers away
- Lille 389 kilometers away
- Rhône-Alpes 425 kilometers away
- Annecy 427 kilometers away
- Talloires 436 kilometers away
- Uzès 463 kilometers away
- Orange 470 kilometers away
- Pont-du-Gard 475 kilometers away
- Alsace 478 kilometers away
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine region 479 kilometers away
- Biarritz 482 kilometers away
- Colmar 483 kilometers away
- Chamonix 483 kilometers away
Photos of Amboise
Accommodation choices for Amboise
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Amboise. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.