Nagasaki is Kyushu’s best-known city, made infamous on 9th August 1945 as the site of the second atomic bomb.
The understated Peace Park and museum are a likely point of interest for every visitor, but Nagasaki’s topography mercifully protected the city from being totally destroyed and today it is a vibrant, forward-looking place.
The blend of Western and Japanese architecture at the Glover Gardens and the foreign enclave of Dejima show what life was like for these original foreign visitors, and the story of Nagasaki’s secret Christians displays a darker side of Japan.
Traveling across Ariake Bay to Kumamoto brings you to one of the country’s finest castles, with its excellent museum and panoramic views. A short train ride from here into Kyushu’s wild interior is the vast and stunning spread of the world’s largest caldera, with volcanic Mount Aso smoldering in the center.
In sharp contrast the eastern coast offers the quintessential Japanese resort of Beppu, where travelers flock to visit the famous ‘hells’, multi-colored pools bubbling with volcanic gasses, wreathed in steam.
Speak to someone
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Suggested itinerary featuring Nagasaki
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Nagasaki, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nagasaki
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nagasaki
- Kumamoto 78 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 104 kilometers away
- Aso 112 kilometers away
- Kyushu 119 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 124 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 131 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 144 kilometers away
- Yufuin 152 kilometers away
- Beppu 159 kilometers away
- Yakushima 278 kilometers away
- Miyajima Island 283 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 295 kilometers away
- Hiroshima 301 kilometers away
- Shikoku 360 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 410 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 415 kilometers away
- Matsue 422 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 426 kilometers away
- Naoshima 426 kilometers away
- Tokushima 459 kilometers away
Photos of Nagasaki
Accommodation choices for Nagasaki
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nagasaki. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.