Visit Miyajima Island, Japan
Miyajima, or Itsuku-shima as it was formally known, has been sacred to the Japanese since the inception of the first shrine on the island over fifteen hundred years ago.
The present incarnation of the Itsukushima-jinja shrine is one of the island's greatest attractions, and the "floating" red torii gate that stands in the shallow waters of the bay when the tide is in remains one of the most photographed views in Japan. The small town has a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere, particularly in the evenings and early mornings once the day-trippers have returned to the mainland.
There are several other smaller temples and shrines dotted around the island that are well worth a visit and Mt Misen (530m) offers great views from its summit and is also home to troupes of wild monkeys.
Suggested itineraries featuring Miyajima Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Miyajima Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Miyajima Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Miyajima Island
- Hiroshima 19 kilometers away
- Matsuyama 65 kilometers away
- Kurashiki 127 kilometers away
- Shikoku 128 kilometers away
- Beppu 135 kilometers away
- Yufuin 142 kilometers away
- Matsue 150 kilometers away
- Naoshima 156 kilometers away
- Takamatsu 161 kilometers away
- Iya Valley 168 kilometers away
- Kurokawa 172 kilometers away
- Fukuoka 192 kilometers away
- Aso 194 kilometers away
- Kyushu 195 kilometers away
- Tokushima 208 kilometers away
- Kumamoto 222 kilometers away
- Tottori 223 kilometers away
- Kinosaki Onsen 274 kilometers away
- Nagasaki 283 kilometers away
- Kirishima National Park 295 kilometers away
- Osaka 297 kilometers away
- Mount Koya 304 kilometers away
- Nara 323 kilometers away
- Kyoto 328 kilometers away
- Kagoshima 340 kilometers away
- Kanazawa 470 kilometers away
- Yakushima 472 kilometers away
- Shirakawago 473 kilometers away
Photos of Miyajima Island
Accommodation choices for Miyajima Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Miyajima Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Many of the rooms at the Iwaso ryokan have lovely views of the surrounding woodland or the ocean and torii shrine gate, and the peaceful atmosphere allows for an extremely relaxing stay.
The Kawaguchi ryokan is a small family run inn with warm, wonderful hosts. Its rooms are Japanese in style with futon mats on tatami floors, which are laid out every night.
The spacious rooms at the Kurayado Iroha ryokan fuse Japanese style tatami mat flooring and low dining tables with western style beds and modern hotel amenities.