The state of Veracruz is an area of great beauty, popular with Mexican tourists and now rapidly opening up to foreign travelers.
Slightly off the beaten track on the Caribbean coast, the region is known for its deep caves, high mountains, fast rapids, fertile lush plantations and a diverse bird population.
It is home to some of the best music, food and cultural attractions in Mexico and also has a rich archaeological heritage, with magnificent Toltec ruins such as El Tajín.
There are a multitude of adventure activities in which to partake, among them river rafting, zip-lining, rappelling, climbing, mountain biking, horse riding, sand-boarding, kayaking and walking.
The city of Veracruz itself is a great place to be based for visiting the area. It was home to the Olmec civilization; one of the oldest and most advanced cultures in the Americas and is a tangle of old and new with whitewashed buildings and winding roads where music and dance seems to buzz throughout its streets.
This is an ideal place to spend a few days if you are looking to explore a different facet of Mexico, and one rarely seen by foreign visitors.
Map of Veracruz
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Veracruz
- Puebla 218 kilometers away
- Oaxaca 247 kilometers away
- Teotihuacán 292 kilometers away
- Mexico City 317 kilometers away
- Cuernavaca 327 kilometers away
- Taxco 372 kilometers away
- Huatulco 383 kilometers away
- San Cristóbal de las Casas 462 kilometers away
- Querétaro 472 kilometers away
- Palenque 478 kilometers away